Land der Hildegard - Hildegard von Bingen

Historisches Museum am Strom Hildegard von Bingen

Für weitere Informationen klicken Sie auf das Gebäude.

Abbey St. Hildegard

Sites › Rüdesheim › Abbey St. Hildegard

Navigationsbaum: Sites › Rüdesheim › Abbey St. Hildegard

North of the town Rüdesheim, you can find the Benedictine Abbey St. Hildegard which is visible from a great distance. It was not founded by Hildegard herself, but is seen as the subsequent monastery after the foundation of the Eibingen Monastery, which was dissolved and mostly torn down at the beginning of the 19th century. The abbey maintains the tradition of the monastery on the Rupertsberg, which was destroyed in 1632 by the Swedish. In the second half of the 19th century when worship of Hildegard increased again, the idea of a new foundation came up. The particular plan goes back to Peter Joseph Blum, the Bishop of Limburg (1842-1883), who encouraged Prince Karl of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1834-1921) to donate. On 2 July 1900, the foundation stone was laid and four years later, the Benedictine nuns from the Abbey St. Gabriel in Prague could move into the monastery.

The artful interior painting of the monastery church is considered as one of the most successful compositions of the „Beuron Art School“, but unfortunately it has been partly whitewashed. The contemplative and harmonic atmosphere, however, has not been affected by this. On the northern side wall, the painter Paulus Krebs dedicated a five-part mural with scenes from Hildegard’s life to the patron saint of the monastery. The church itself was built in neo-Romanesque style. Located north of the presbytery, the nun’s choir can be accessed directly through the cloister. The other buildings host the refectory, the chapter house, the library, the convention hall and the cells of the nuns. Other parts of the monastery complex are the gardens and the monastery cemetery.

Contact
Benediktinerinnenabtei St. Hildegard
Klosterweg
65385 Rüdesheim am Rhein
Germany
Telefon: +49 6722 / 4 99-0
Telefax: +49 6722 / 4 99-1 78
E-mail: benediktinerinnen@abtei-st-hildegard.de
Web: http://www.abtei-st-hildegard.de
Opening Hours of the Church
daily from 5 am – 8.15 pm
Opening Hours of the Monastery Shop
Monday - Saturday
9.30 am – 11.45 am
2 pm – 5 pm
Admission Fees
Free admission
How to find us

From direction Bingen/Koblenz: Follow the B42 towards Wiesbaden, after the OIL service station turn left and drive up the hill towards Eibingen and follow the main street (Albertistraße, Theodor-Heuss-Str., Angerstr., Nothgottesstr.), then turn left into Klosterweg.

From direction Wiesbaden: Follow the B42 towards Koblenz, after the railway underpass and before the OIL service station on the left hand side turn right and drive up the hill towards Eibingen and follow the main street (Albertistraße, Theodor-Heuss-Str., Angerstr., Nothgottesstr.), then turn left into Klosterweg.

Not accessible for wheelchairs