Land der Hildegard - Hildegard von Bingen

Klosterruine Disibodenberg

Für weitere Informationen klicken Sie auf das Gebäude.

Eibingen Parish Church

Sites › Rüdesheim › Eibingen Parish Church

Navigationsbaum: Sites › Rüdesheim › Eibingen Parish Church

In 1165, Hildegard of Bingen acquired an abandoned Augustine double monastery in Eibingen near Rüdesheim, on the opposite side of the Rhine. She arranged for the restoration of the partly destroyed buildings and for the consecration of the church. Only a short time later, the monastery, offering space for about 30 nuns, could be inhabited. Until her death in 1179, Hildegard crossed the Rhine twice a week in order to attend to her duties as Abbess there too. Virtually nothing is known about the appearance of this Romanesque building. In 1802, the old Eibingen Monastery was dissolved and cleared in 1814 in the course of the secularization. When the community of Eibingen acquired the monastery in 1831, the majority of the complex from the 17th and 18th century had already been torn down. From then on, the former monastery church was used as the community’s parish church.

From 1660 on, Hildegard’s relics were kept in the church. As a consequence of the secularization, they were passed into the hands of several people, but after another consecration, were handed over to the former monastery church again. Between 1852 and 1857, the priest Ludwig Schneider examined the mortal remains of Hildegard and in 1857, the Limburg Bishop Peter Blum confirmed their authenticity. Since that year, the Hildegardis Festival with a ceremonial processions has taken place every year on 17 September, the day of Hildegard’s death, where the relics are carried through the decorated streets of Eibingen. In 1929, a new artful repository was built, the Hildegardis Shrine. Today, the reliquary is located in the presbytery of the parish church.

For reasons unknown, the church burned to the ground in 1932 and only a few objects, such as the Hildegardis Shrine, could be saved from the fire. By 1935, the parish church had been rebuilt in its current form. At the south-eastern corner of the building, a Hildegard sculpture was added in 1957 which is intended to be a reminder of the first pilgrimage of 1857. In the interior, the altarpiece deserves attention, which shows the Holy Triune according to a mural from the Eibingen Scivias Codex, as well as the six „windows of Eibingen“. In a surrealistic form, they show pictures from the history of salvation and also refer to Hildegard’s visions. On three other windows, 21 medicinal plants from Hildegard’s work on natural history and medicine are illustrated. Since 2002, a sister from the Abbey St. Hildegard has been looking after the pilgrims in Eibingen, which creates a firm connection between the old and the new monastery in Eibingen.

Contact
Katholisches Pfarramt St.Hildegard
Marienthaler Strasse 3
65385 Rüdesheim-Eibingen
Germany
Telephone: +49 6722 / 45 20
Fascimile: +49 6722 / 4 86 29
E-mail: St.Hildegard@eibingen.de
Opening Hours
daily from 5.30 am – 8.15 pm
Admission Fees
Free admission
How to find us

From direction Bingen/Koblenz: B42 towards Wiesbaden, in the town drive towards Niederwald Memorial (Bleichstrasse, Geisenheimer Strasse, Grabenstrasse), then via F.-Heyl-Str. and Hugo-Asbach-Str. turn into Eibinger Straße, after a few hundred meters the church is situated on the left side.

From direction Wiesbaden: B42 towards Koblenz, after the railway underpass and before the OIL service station on the left hand side turn right and drive up the hill towards Eibingen and follow the main street (Albertistrasse, Theodor-Heuss-Str.), then turn left into Marienthaler Strasse; after a few hundred meters the church is situated on the right side.

Accessibility
Accessible for wheelchairs, wheelchair ramp at the right side of the stairs to the church entrance