For further information click on the building.
Navigation: Sites › Bingen › Rochuskapelle
On a hill southeast of Bingen, you can find the pilgrimage church St. Rochus that was built in 1895 in neo-Gothic style. Its history, however, reaches far beyond this date. After the Plague of 1666 had taken many victims, members of the town magistrate of Bingen vowed to the patron saint of the people suffering from the Plague, Saint Rochus, to donate a chapel and perform an annual procession to this chapel. After the church had been destroyed in 1795, it was rebuilt in 1814. The ceremonies of the consecration of the church were described by Johann Wolfgang Goethe, who was one of the guests and also donated an altarpiece showing the Saint on a journey. From this time, the Rochus Chapel has become a place to worship Hildegard of Bingen, which increased its importance in the 19th century: After the Eibingen Monastery was dissolved, the inventory of the former monastery church and the reliquary treasure were brought to the Rochusberg. The newly introduced Hildegardis Festival made more than 8000 people stream to the chapel for Hildegard’s 700th day of death in 1879. After lightening struck the pilgrimage church in 1889, it burned down and also parts of the inventory from Eibingen fell victim to the flames. The church of today was finally built between 1891 and 1895 following plans of the diocesan architect Max Meckel. Two side altars were again consecrated to Hildegard and Rupert. The Hildegard altar by Jakob Busch shows scenes from the life of the Saint on eight reliefs. The relics of Hildegard saved from the fire are in the pedestal of the altar.